Huntsville is 68,716 hectares in size and is the largest community in the District of Muskoka. Populations in 1991 were 16,000 from permanent and 10,423 from seasonal residents in the Township. The area got its name from its first permanent settler, Captain George Hunt who moved there in 1869. Locks were built on the Muskoka River between Mary Lake and Fairy Lake in 1877 which helped increase settlement to the area as did the arrival of the railway in 1886. A few years later Fairy Lake and Peninsula Lake were connected by a canal. Like other towns in the District the lumber industry played a large factor in its early growth.
SEARCH in Town of Huntsville by area click on red dots BELOW on the map or search by subject click LEFT on the text
| Muskoka Lakes | Huntsville
| Bracebridge | Gravenhurst
| Lake of Bays
Accommodations | Activities & Attractions | Clubs | Community | Shopping & Services
Home | Restaurants | Winter Activities | History | Muskoka Events
Copyright 2000-2017, this site and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to